Saturday, July 13, 2013

North Wilkesboro, NC: Carolina Style Swap Meet

taxidermy deer
At the beginning of each week, in the center of town, Wilkes County residents from far and wide gather for their Monday ritual. Shopping at the Cattle Sale involves far more than the auctioning of livestock; it is the gathering spot for locals on an epic scale. My new friend Miss Ashley, wife of my high-school friend Jack and our hosts in Hays, NC, was excited to take me to see the best "shopping" in town.

Miss Ashley has lived in this area her entire life and was kind enough to give me the insiders guide on where to shop, how to order your food, where to find local gossip, how to address locals in a proper manner, and how to beat the heat. During our visit she was a goldmine of kindness, insight and that famous Southern Hospitality, as well as feeding us fabulously on local favorites. The BBQ Pork she prepared was the best pork I've ever had! Her Mama should be proud.

"You can buy yourself a rifle, pistol, ammo and knives over here, get your cammo over here, buy holsters for your guns and knives here, buy you some rations over here and get back up in the hills before 9am," Miss Ashley drawled in her luxurious southern belle manner, pointing in all directions.

What I found was everything any person could want or need, along with plenty of things I couldn't imagine using. But to each his own, I say. Along with the weaponry that appeared on every other table, there were toys, clothing, tools (new and used), and produce. Miss Ashley showed me which produce was locally grown and which were brought in from Mexico. And while we saw plenty of people shopping the Mexican produce, very few of them were native North Carolinans. Most of them were migrant workers from Mexico who have come to this area to find work. The "locals" liked to purchase the local produce because that's the entire point of the Cattle Sale Market; to buy local and eat the freshest foods.

Tyson Chicken has a plant in Wilkesboro which is a huge employer for the area. Jack and Ashley had shared stories with us over a breakfast of eggs and liver mush about how the chickens are raised, caught, shuttled to the plant and processed. I was told of rogue feral chickens who had escaped during the shuttling process. They live in the woods, chase after the feed trucks which spill feed on the roads, and are the meanest animals in these parts. I had been on edge since the stories, watching the roads for the large, mean, black chickens of which I had been warned. Smaller livestock was available at the market, such as rabbits and chickens, in little crates, but I wasn't going near any damn chickens, cooped up or not, at this point.

The heat began to creep up in the North Carolina borough, so we called it a day. I had spent only $3 on fruit and a new "Miss Ashley" doll, our newest Road Pickle Mascot. Perhaps she might keep Asphalt Annie out of trouble. A true lady with her southern charm and proper etiquette may have a positive affect on our wayward mascot. I know the real Miss Ashley had that affect on me.








1 comments:

Copyright © 2013 Too Much Tina All Rights Reserved