Monday, August 12, 2013

Gettysburg, PA: Motorcycle Trip Through Time

Even if you're not into Civil War history there's an eerie feeling that will wash over you when you feel the gentle breeze and hear the occasional chirp of a song bird.

The grassy field that took the lives of some 50,000 sons still holds the legacy of wives and children who went on to live their lives without their husbands and fathers, but Band-Aided over by the growth of new grasses and hatchlings.

Time may have forgotten these men if not for the hundreds of monuments and markers that line the battlefield.  If there was just one monument to honor Gettysburg, the place and event might have lost its importance.  But seeing monument after monument after monument, leaves a profound impact of how devastating this event was, yet so human.

When visiting Gettysburg National Military Park, you don't actually have to get out off your motorcycle.  There's an auto tour that takes you past the cemeteries, through town, and into the middle of the battlefield, and doesn't cost anything.  You could certainly stop and walk into the museum and visit the place where President Lincoln gave the Gettysburg Address.  But then, maybe you already know enough about Gettysburg and only wish to baptize yourself into its memory.

Hundreds of cars and RVs file through the auto tour like ants on a trail.  A few stop to take pictures, and a few stop to get out and read the inscriptions on the monuments.  Some pick flowers to take back a piece of Gettysburg.

For Sash and I, it was more about feeling the energy.  Sash is far more receptive to the calls of spirits than I.  I often wonder if they're lonely and sad, or if they're enjoying themselves recreating the battle, just like the baseball players in "Field of Dreams".

I look out across the battlefield and can vision the Confederate units making their charge.  Bodies flying end over end from cannon blasts, lead musket balls cracking into skulls, and scores of men collapsing to the ground like a firing squad.  Scenes from the movie, "Gettysburg" replay themselves in my head, and I can see a tearful Tom Berenger hold his head down as he sends thousands of men to their deaths, and a shaken Martin Sheen apologize to his loyal followers.

harvest of death gettysburg
"Harvest of Death" taken by Timothy H. O'Sullivan, one day after the battle.
gettysburg battlefield
The "Valley of Death" where the famous battle took place.
gettysburg battlefield
The Gettysburg Battlefield
gettysburg battlefield
Monuments line the drive through the battlefield
gettysburg battlefield
Every unit, cavalry, division, has its own monument at the battlefield
gettysburg battlefield
The Auto Tour starts at the Gettysburg Battlefield National Monument entrrance
gettysburg battlefield
Wooden barricades line the streets in Gettysburg, PA

3 comments:

  1. Great post. Did Sash pickup on any spirit messages?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize we were in the battlefield, thinking it was over the hills ahead. Nor did I understand how large the entire battlefield is. When I get these "sensations" from spirits, I can feel their emotions and sometimes see through their eyes. I've had spirits show images to me as well. Those people who I've shared this with have all been amazed with what I see. It freaks me out, but I'm getting more accustomed to it and less frightened.
      What I felt was a longing for home; for the fragrances I knew, the touch of my mother, the faces of the people who I love. It washed over me, this homesickness. Then I realized I was feeling the sorrow of those who had died here. In my humble opinion, from my experience, all these men wanted was to be home.
      Thanks for asking Lawritz.
      Sash

      Delete
  2. Steve, thanks for the write-up. I'd definitely like to visit one day. I can only imagine how horrific the battle must have been. It's not one of the prettier moments in our Nation's history. Man can be a brutal creature.

    Glad you guys got to experience Gettysburg. ~Curt

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2013 Too Much Tina All Rights Reserved